It really is this simple…. but nobody said it’s easy. Planning is your best friend in health and in business. Schedule, schedule, schedule!
- Sleep is so important. Studies have shown that if you are sleep deprived your hormones tend to be off. Have you ever noticed when you’re tired, you’re more likely to look for comfort through food? That’s not and accident! Additionally, when you’re tired you are less likely to be motivated to prepare your meals ahead of time or exercise. Sleeplessness can be quite counterproductive. Try to go to bed at the same time each night, power down the electronics at least one hour before bed time, dim the lights, ditch caffeine by 3:00, and try to rise at the same time each day.
- Eat clean: you know the drill! Shop the perimeter of the store, try to buy organic when you can, keep your foods simple, look for items that don’t need an ingredients list, eat lean proteins, whole grains (if you do grains), and keep your diet heavy on the veggies.
- Water: drink half your body weight in ounces - add more for hot weather or sweaty activities.
- Exercise: some is always better than none. Try for at least three days per week, but preferably five days.
- REPEAT! Consistency is key!
A healthy lifestyle is merely a series of habits. Over time they become as natural as brushing your teeth - you feel GROSS if you don’t do it! Keep yourself organized so you don’t feel stressed out about adding these activities to your schedule. Use a planner or your cell phone to help you keep a To-Do List. Make out your list either the night before or first thing in the morning and include at least two items that will help you with your health and fitness, the items that you MUST do or there will be dire consequences, and two items that will propel you ahead in either your work or your schooling.
Really it comes down to the good old Nike philosophy: JUST DO IT!